Homelessness Prevention (Aspire Oxford)
8.00-4.30 Monday to Friday
Eligibility & Referral
Available to anyone presenting as at early risk of homelessness across Oxfordshire
Aspire provides a homelessness prevention service for people at early risk of homelessness across Oxfordshire.
Our team of outreach workers, known as “Community Navigators”, provide advice, mentoring and advocacy in community settings across the county. This support is designed to help people who are vulnerable to homelessness to stay in their homes and build their own skills, resilience and confidence so that they can manage any housing challenges themselves in the future.
Our team provides support around issues such as universal credit, managing debt and understanding their rights. We connect each person to a wide range of other services set up to help them. By providing this intensive support at the earliest possible stage we can protect vulnerable people from becoming homeless.
Aspire has been delivering a homelessness prevention service since May 2018 as part of the “Trailblazer” pilot project, in partnership with Oxfordshire councils. The outcomes have been significant: we worked with over 350 local people, 45% of whom would have been homeless without our intervention. 75 have been directly supported into secure housing, 98 connected to other services and we continue to support remaining cases.
The pilot comes to an end in September 2019, but in recognition of the vital role that prevention plays in tackling Oxfordshire’s homeless crisis we have committed to keeping the service going.
Key functions & activities offered
- Homelessness prevention support on a 121 basis
- Initial assessments
- Advice and support around sustaining tenancies, housing issues, universal credit or debt
- Connections to a wide range of services
- Friendly, person-centred support run by people with lived experience
- Supporting individuals to navigate complex systems related to housing and benefits
- Up-skilling staff within partner organisations around homelessness prevention
- Active member of Homeless Link
- Access to Aspire’s core employment, training and education support offer
- Access to a homelessness prevention support fund